How to earn the most money as an independent musician [Infographic]
June 17, 2015
As an independent musician, a lot of the time you’re making music for the passion; you love what you do and it loves you. But there comes the time when you need to ask yourself “how am I going to make a living out of this?”
Which is what we thought here at Ditto Music – so we opened the vaults of our data and studied well over 100k releases and found out how an independent musician can make the most money from their release.
There were quite a few interesting data points we found:
• iTunes is the runaway leader in royalty generation for artists - it outperforms all its competitors in every genre and remains the main store when it comes to music sales.
• Soundtrack is the highest grossing genre of music by a long way, bringing in 58% more than average for a release.
• With the debate over Spotify’s royalty distribution in the news, it’s interesting to see that the store pays out far below the average when compared to its rivals.
• Hip-Hop’s popularity over the last few years has seen its stock rise significantly, with a Hip-Hop artist looking to net themselves 11% more than average per release.
We’ve picked through all the data and presented it in a much easier to digest manner, analysing which store is best for your genre, along with how much each genre makes on average. Click on the image to view a larger version.
- Aus Opp: Apply For The Unified Grant
- Interview With Mcrobin
- Get Your Music Featured on the Australian Hitlist!
- SAIN Interview: Meet the Artist Making Independent Hip-Hop in Dubai
- Online Conference: Music Launch Summit
- BIGSOUND 2016 Wrap Up
- Featured Artist: Paper House
- Get your music featured on a Ditto Music Spotify Playlist