Everything you need to know about Barcodes
February 20, 2012
Barcodes are a requirement for any release. Stores us them to locate, sell and track purchases of entire products. However using barcodes to their full potential can be tricky, so here are 10 need-to-know things about barcodes.
1. You will need a different barcode for Physical / Digital and Vinyl products. At Ditto Music if you choose to generate your barcode image, let us know what you need and we can give you an image for any you require
2. Just because you have a barcode image, it does not mean it will scan in your local Tesco. If you register a release with us, get a barcode and get CDDB registration, your release will be registered on several platforms of information, however stores like Tesco and HMV will have their own EPOS system that gather information from Physical distributors, so if you scan it and it doesn't show up dont be alarmed.
3. Barcodes come in different formats. Here at Ditto we use a European standard 13 digital EAN, eg 5055506512945. Other companies may use a 12 digit american code such as 701540879521. But don't worry both are usable in digital distribution and barcodes can start with a variety of numbers, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 0
4. Barcodes are used by stores to track album sales, so on your Ditto dashboard the units and amounts beside the code that looks like: 5055506210523 will be sales of your complete product.
5. If you have been told you need to buy a barcode that this not true. Companies like Ditto Music buy bulk amounts of barcodes of GS1 to supply to our artists, we do this of course for free as it is illegal to sell on a barcode.
6. You can check if a barcode you have been given is real, by using a barcode check digit calculator. The last number on a code is a result of a formula made out of the others and so you can check this HERE.
If you have any further enquiries or if you need a couple physical images for your artwork please contact us directly on firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10 tips for successful music collaboration
- Aus Opp: Apply For The Unified Grant
- Interview With Mcrobin
- Get Your Music Featured on the Australian Hitlist!
- SAIN Interview: Meet the Artist Making Independent Hip-Hop in Dubai
- Online Conference: Music Launch Summit
- BIGSOUND 2016 Wrap Up
- Featured Artist: Paper House