Catalogue Music Outsells New Releases in US
July 24, 2012
Old, catalogue music is currently outselling new music in
the US for the first time, Soundscan reports.
In a review of all album sales in Ameirca for the first half
of 2012, sales of catalogue music (releases over 18 months old) as outsold new
releases by over 3 million units.
The exact figures for the first half of 2012 are as follows:
New Releases: 73.9
(over 18 months old): 76.6 million units
Some suggest that this may signify a shift from physical to
digital music sales, as people are re-purchasing their favourite old releases in
a digital format. However, CMU report that it could be a sign that archive
content is becoming the key revenue stream for big labels, with new music
taking a back seat.
- Ditto Music Joins The Face The Music Line-up
- How to View Your Spotify Analytics using Fan Insights
- Aussie Featured Artists For October
- How to get verified on Twitter as a musician
- 10 tips for successful music collaboration
- Aus Opp: Apply For The Unified Grant
- Interview With Mcrobin
- Get Your Music Featured on the Australian Hitlist!