20 Signs You're an Independent Musician
August 11, 2015
So you've taken the plunge and become an independent musician. Here are some pros and cons of making that life-style choice.
1. You're broke
2. You live with the threat of making next months rent all the time
3. You eat pot noodles for every meal
4. You drink anything
5. You party on a Monday
6. On a Tuesday
7. On a Wednesday
8. But not the weekend because you’re working
9. You manage to pick up money playing weddings/working men’s clubs/teaching
10. You have to swerve the ‘so are you looking for a job’ question at every family gathering
11. Cause there’s no better chat up line than ‘I’m in a band’
12. All your money goes on instruments/mixing equipment
13. You spend all day, every day emailing bloggers, promoters, radio stations convincing them that your music is amazing
14. Your practice room occasionally gives you electric shocks and it leaks when it rains
15. You spend all night in the recording studio cause that’s the only time you can afford to hire it
16. Your clothes have loadss of holes in them, but it just adds to your look
17. You have already memorised your Mercury Award speech
18. You know what all the bands in your city are doing but couldn’t tell you who no. 1 is this week
19. You have your favourite busking spot
20. You couldn’t do anything else
- Record Label of the Month: Deathly Records
- What license do I need for my music?
- ACM’s Top DIY Music PR Tips
- How Are The Music Charts Calculated?
- How Much Should You Charge For a Gig?
- Live Performance Tips To Help You Put On a Great Show
- Record Label of the Month: Rooftop Records
- Why Education is More Important Than Ever in Today’s Music Industry